PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution have joined forces with Army Painter to bring stores an exclusive miniature painting competition. Not only will one of your customers be promoted to top miniature painter at your store and receive a $50 store credit for Army Painter products, but your store could also win a $250 credit for Army painter products too!
The ‘Nuts and Bolts’ of how the competition runs:
- Stores sign up by emailing our Organized Play HQ from September 15 to October 2, 2015. (See below for more details)
- Once a store’s registration is confirmed, the store can advertise their participation using the posters available on the PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution websites.
- Customers register for the store competition and purchase their miniature. This miniature is the one they’ll be painting and bringing back for judging on October 31.
- From October 3 to October 31, 2015 customers will be busy painting their registered miniature.
- On October 31, at a time designated by the store, customers present their miniature for store judging and a winner is chosen. See our resources section below for a downloadable document that contains tips on how to do this.
- The store now takes pictures of the winner and winning miniature. They send those pictures to our Organized Play HQ email address by 5 PM EST November 4. Please note, we will be posting all entries to our Facebook Page. We want everyone to enjoy the amazing work of your heroic painters!
- On November 14 our expert panel of judges will go through all store submissions and award $250 credit to the winging store.
- In Parallel, PHD and Coqui Hobby will be running a staff competition with regular posts from our award winning miniatures painters. These website posts will focus on offering tips and tricks on how to paint and base miniatures using Army Painter products. Check our Facebook and Website regularly for these short articles.
To have your store join the action, simply send an email to our Organized Play HQ email address and include the following information (you can copy and paste the following to ensure you don’t miss anything):
- Store Name:
- Store Address:
- Contact Name at the Store:
- Email address:
- Is your store currently a PHD/Coqui Hobby account?
- Do you currently stock Army painter products?
You will receive a confirmation email stating your entry was accepted from our Organized Play HQ Chief of Staff, Ian Richards. If you do not have this within one (1) business day of registration submission, please contact us again immediately.
- Customers register and purchase their miniature by October 2, 2015. We recommend using the form provided in this article. Late entries can be allowed (at the store’s discretion) but the deadline for judging remains October 31, 2015.
- The competition is for miniatures that come on a 40mm base or smaller. Example: No colossal miniatures with a toe on a 40mm base. If such a miniature should win a store competition, and is submitted for final judging, that miniature maybe excluded at the sole discretion of our expert panel of judges.
- On October 31, 2015, the store invites all registered participants back to the store to choose a winner. How the winner is decided is entirely up to the store. See our resource section for a downloadable document that has tips on how to judge miniature painting competitions.
- The store must award the winning customer with their $50 Army Painter credit.
- The store must take color pictures of the winner and winning miniature, then submit them to PHD/Coqui Hobby’s Organized Play HQ for overall judging by no later than 5 PM EST on November 4, 2015.
- The winning store entry will be announced on November 9, 2015 via PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution’s Facebook pages, websites and in writing sent to the email address provided on the store’s registration.
- Please note that our judging panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding selection of the winning entry.
- Stores agree to provide ALL the information required for competition registration.
- By registering for the competition, a store and their customers agree to allow PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution full use of ALL submitted images and photographs for marketing and promotional purposes.
- Each Store awards the top contestant with the $50 credit prize.
- The $50 customer prize credit will be applied to the store’s account with PHD or Coqui Hobby Distribution after the prize is awarded.
- The $250 store prize will be credited to the store account with PHD or Coqui Hobby Distribution.
- If a store gets just one entry then that customer is awarded the $50 prize and PHD or Coqui Hobby Distribution will credit that store’s account.
- If a store gets no entries then the prize cannot be awarded and no $50 credit will be applied to the store’s account.
- September 15, 2015: Store registration opens
- October 2, 2015: Store registration closes
- October 3, 2015: Miniature painting starts
- October 31, 2015: Miniatures are judged and prizes given
- November 4, 2015: Stores submit picture(s)
- November 9, 2015: Overall store winner announced
- Download our color Army Painter Competition Poster and print it off to advertise your event.
- Download our black and white Army Painter Competition Bag Fliers and print them off to advertise your event.
- Download our Judging Painted Miniatures tips document
- Download our Customer Registration form
- Download our Customer Voting Form
Question: I’d like to offer other prizes. Can I?
Answer: Yes you can. We place no restrictions on enhanced prizes for store events. These are strictly at the discretion of the store.
Question: I’d like to have all my customers choose/vote for an overall winner. Is that OK?
Answer: It certainly is. In this case it is very important to keep the entries anonymous for the customers so nobody just votes for someone they know well rather than the best miniature. Simply give each entry a random number or letter and have customers pick the one they think is best. You can download and use our customer voting form provided on this page.
Question: Can a customer change their minds about which miniature they want to paint?
Answer: As long as this happens before painting starts on October 3. After that they must paint the miniature purchased.
Question: Is there an entry cost for the store?
Answer: There is no cost for entry to the store. Simply sign up and provide the information requested above.
Question: Is there an entry cost for the customer?
Answer: That is entirely up to stores themselves. We recommend the purchasing of the miniature is the minimum entry cost.
Question: With each store getting a $50 prize for their customers will there be a limit to the number of stores allowed to enter?
Answer: No, but it is strictly one application per store. If a store is part of a chain or group then each location may enter. In this case each store will need to send in a separate registration prior to the deadline.
Question: I’m not currently a PHD / Coqui Hobby account. Can I enter?
Answer: Certainly but you will first need to open an account with PHD or Coqui Hobby Distribution. You can do that by filling out our simple application and following the details on our application page.
Question: I’m a player that wants to take part. How do I find a store that is participating?
Answer: We will post a full list of participating stores on both the PHD and Coqui Website.
Question: I don’t see a store local to me registered. Can I still enter?
Answer: Sadly you will need to participate at a registered store only. You can certainly approach a local store and offer to help them run the event. Please be aware that the store will need to have an account with us to participate.
Question: I’m not in the USA or Latin America. Can my store participate?
Answer: Certainly. You will need to have an account with us, like many stores around the world. Simply fill out the application at our Account Registration page and join stores from Taiwan to Norway and from Argentina to Alaska enjoying the benefits of working with PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution.
Question: Will you be judging just the painting of the miniature?
Answer: No. We will also be taking into account any reworking of the miniature and quality of basing. Check out the Army Painter accessories range that will help entrants be highly creative with their miniatures.
Question: Can my customers create a diorama with a 40mm base figure on it?
Answer: No. To ensure each miniature is fairly judged on its own merits no dioramas are allowed. Any miniature designed to be a detachable part of a diorama must be submitted for store judging without the diorama.
Question: I don’t have an account with either PHD or Coqui Hobby. Why would I need to open one to run this competition?
Answer: The prizes are in the form of Army Painter product credit with PHD and Coqui Hobby Distribution. To take advantage of that, you will need an account for the credit to be applied to. Considering the amazing customer service and products available to stores around the globe, you’ll wonder why you never applied before!
Question: My customers are interested in my store running this competition but I don’t currently stock miniatures or paints. How can I get involved?
Answer: New stores should apply for an account at our application page. Once set up, one of our Account Managers will quickly assist you in getting what you need for your customers to compete at the highest levels. Existing accounts can call their usual Account Manager and they’ll be happy to assist.
Question: I want my store to enter but I don’t currently carry Army Painter products. Can I still enter the competition?
Answer: Certainly. Though we highly recommend you check out the Army Painter range. You won’t be disappointed.
If you have other questions please email our Organized Play HQ